Friday, March 2, 2012

INTERVIEW: DAVID BERRIE

Hey guys.  I've got a nice little interview for you here with David Berrie, known also as just dBerrie.  Dave is a New Jersey native with some great production skills and most definitely a guy quickly rising in dance music community!  I've also got a preview of his upcoming track "Future Bot" so check it out!


1) Let's get the basic stuff out there.  Who are you, where are you from, and how did you get into the music?
Hey my name is David Berrie I'm a dj/producer based out of NYC and I first started getting getting into music by DJing for friends around 14 yrs old.

2) What has been your most memorable moment in music (e.g. DJ gig, performance you've seen, production moment, etc.)?
I'd have to say one of the most memorable moments was first hearing some of my remixes get played on the radio, both satellite and fm.

3) How do you feel about the immense growth in EDM in recent years, most particularly in the U.S.?  Do you have any worries that overexposure may be detrimental?
I think its fair to say that its been great for electronic music on all fronts. There so many sub genres in the scene I think the overexposure will only lead people to dig deeper into the different styles, which is obviously a good thing.

4) Did you have any sort of mentor as you began producing and DJ'ing and what advice would you give for guys and gals who are just starting out?
For DJing my greatest asset was growing up in Jersey 10 mins from the city. Id go out and be able to catch so many different DJs w different styles I pickup up a lot from just watching. As for production I owe all of what I learned to youtube videos and more specifically, Future Music Magazine 'In the studio' DVDs.. Really great.

5) What's your equipment setup like both for DJ'ing and in the studio?  Any particular synths or pieces of hardware that you literally couldn't function without?
For DJing I'm all midi, using 2 X1 Controllers on Traktor 2 with an Audio 8 as my sound card which runs out 4 outputs. And in the studio right now I'm basically 95 percent software, with 'Xfer Nerve' and 'Sylenth1' being some of my most essential tools.

6) For the last two months or so I've been absolutely in love with your track "Change the Light", especially Colin's vocals.  Where did you find such a great talent that most people have never heard of??
Actually funny story my friend from high school just came over with some of his friends from Colgate, Collin being one of them. We just kinda found out we both did music and hit it off from there. Most people I work with i kind of just randomly meet.

7) Now I know most producers have little particular tendencies that make their creative processes unique.  For me, I always like to start with the kick and the bass because I think they're really the foundation for everything else.  What is your creative process like and how do you like to work in the studio?
Depends on the kind of project, but usually ill go for the part thats gonna identify the song the most first. So if its a melody track, ill start with the progression or if its a tech track ill start with the groove, no given formula tho.

8) Name the first things that come to mind for this: 3 most essential items to bring on the road?
Laptop, Sennheiser headphones, 3g Wireless laptop card.

9) I like to ask just about everyone I interview this.  What are your thoughts on the recent trend of guys producing tracks almost exclusively through loops and samples?  How much importance do you place on creating original sounds?
Honestly i don't see that as a trend right now, people have always been doing this and i think its fair game. When it comes down to it, its the end product. But yes if you overuse loops eventually you won't be able to create your own unique style.

10) What upcoming gigs and productions do you have that should we be on the lookout for in 2012?
Month of march will be busy, I have a few dates for spring break in Mexico, doing SXSW in Texas, and of course a bunch of gigs during WMC week in miami. Also I have a lot of new forthcoming singles that will b ready just in time for Miami. You can stay updated ondberrie.com

11) What was your first track ever like and how far do you feel you've progressed since then?
My first track I've ever made was horrible and I probably don't have it anymore. The first track that I posted publicly is actually still on my soundcloud, the kaskade dynasty remix. You can check it out and hear for yourself. soundcloud.com/dberrie

12) Lastly, tell my readers anything at all that you'd like to say.
People that support my music thank you! Lots of new music to come this year so stay tuned!



So that's it's folks.  For those of you going to WMC, definitely be sure to check out Dave's gigs and take a listen below to the preview for his upcoming track "Future Bot".  It's a nice melodic track with a great build and a really great drop so check it out and then head to Facebook or Twitter and show Dave some love!

No comments:

Post a Comment